Abstract— The present study was designed to investigate the effect of feeding whole cotton seed, of Gossipium hirustum spp (WCS), cottonseed cake (CSC) and noug seed cake (NSC) on blood serum parameters of growing male goats. Twenty four Arsi-Bale growing male goats of 6-12 months of age were assigned at random to four dietary treatments in a randomized complete block design. The dietary treatments were; (T1) local grass hay only (control), (T2) control +20% WCS, (T3) control+30% CSC all amount on total daily DMI basis and (T4) control + recommended level noug seed cake(50% wheat bran (WB) and 49% NSC). Blood samples were collected in 10ml vactainer tube by jugular vein puncture every 30, 60 and 90 days of the experimental days and were allowed to clot at room temperature and centrifuged for 15minutesat 3000 rpm. The separated serum samples were stored in a deep freezer at -20oC until they were analyzed. Te samples were analyzed for serum parameters: albumin, total protein, glucose, urea nitrogen, creatinine and alkaline phosphate Significant (P<0.05) difference between treatments was observed in the levels of creatinine, urea nitrogen, alkaline phosphate and albumin. Higher levels of creatinine and blood urea nitrogen were observed for T4 while higher alkaline phosphate was observed for T3 and higher albumin was observed for T2. However, no significant (P>0.05) difference between treatments were observed in the levels of total serum protein and glucose. Moreover, no visible clinical sign of gossypol toxicity was observed on the experimental goats fed WCS and CSC during the 90 days of the experimental period. Hence, it was concluded that supplementation of growing male goat diets with recommended levels of NSC,20 and 30% WCS and CSC respectively have no adverse effect on blood serum parameters of growing male goats.
Keywords— blood serum parameters, cotton seed cake, goats, noug seed cake, whole cottonseed.
AD Publications is a rapidly growing academic publisher in the fields of Engineering, Medical-Health, Environmental Science and Agriculture Research. AD Publications is a registered organization broad-based open access and publishes most exciting researches with respect to the subjects of our journals. The Journals is being indexed and abstracted by all major global current awareness and alerting services.
The organization aims at undertaking, co- coordinating and promoting research and development. It provides professional and academic guidance in the field of basic education, Higher Education as well in the Technical Education. Our Aims is to Promote and support, High Quality basic, Scientific Research and development in fields of Engineering, Medical-Health, Environmental Science and Agriculture Research and to Generate Public awareness, provide advice to scholar’s researchers and communicate research outcomes.